Ancestral Impressions: Exploring Your Ancestry through Creativity, Imagery, and Intuition
July 23 – 26 (Monday-Thursday)
With Audrey Chowdhury
Tuition: $375 (includes all materials for creating mandalas and collages), plus meals and lodging
Even if you know nothing about them, your ancestors are a tremendous resource for you, and they are just waiting for you to ask them for guidance and information about who and where you come from. Through my work as an art therapist and facilitator, I have been surprised and delighted to find that our ancestors love to speak to us through creative processes. In this workshop experience, we will play with ways to get in touch with those that came before us. We will be tapping into this great well of wisdom and experience through processes that use your creative imagination. We will travel to the ancestral realm using guided imagery, SoulCollage®, mandala creating, intuitive art processes and intuitive writing. You will learn about the four realms of ancestral memory and explore your heritage through these portals. We will take movement breaks to help integrate our experience and have time to take advantage of the beautiful natural surroundings at the Christine Center.
Please bring copies of any photos of your ancestors that you may like to work with or explore (but don’t worry if you don’t have any). It is important to also bring a journal and some pens. All art materials needed (including many images) will be furnished.
Please noted that no artistic skill or experience is needed for this workshop. In fact, it works best to come with a beginner’s mind no matter what your creative experiences have been like in the past. There is no right or wrong way to do this!
We will be nourished and supported by delicious community meals prepared by loving at the center. You will also have time and opportunity to take advantage of the resources the Christine offers for contemplation, reflection, rest, and play.
Audrey Chowdhury. M.S., will be your guide and facilitator. Audrey is a registered, board certified art therapist who has trained SoulCollage® facilitators throughout the Midwest, California, and Canada. Audrey is an ordained Minister of Walking Prayer through the Center for Sacred Studies where she studied and travelled with the International Council of the Thirteen Indigenous Grandmothers. She is an experienced workshop/ retreat facilitator and a frequent participant and presenter at Christine Center programs. Audrey is the author of the book, Ancestral Impressions, Exploring Your Ancestry through Creativity, Imagery, and Intuition. (Available on amazon.com and at the Christine Center bookstore) She will be sharing the material in this interactive workbook with you during this workshop.
About Audrey Chowdhury
Audrey Chowdhury lives in Wisconsin. She is an art therapist, workshop presenter and author. Her newly published book is an interactive workbook called Ancestral Impressions, Exploring Your Ancestry through Creativity, Imagery and Intuition. It is available on www.amazon.com. Audrey has studied and traveled with the International Council of the Thirteen Indigenous Grandmothers and is an ordained Minister of Walking Prayer. She has also trained SoulCollage® facilitators in several states in the US and in Canada. Her website is www.creativespiritguide.com
Workshop begins Monday, July 23 at 7:00 pm (Dinner is served at 5:30 pm). Ends with noon meal on Thursday, July 26.
Monday, July 23:
5:30 supper served
7:00 pm Gather in meditation room for orientation, introductions, “Why Take this Journey?” Intentions for the retreat
Tuesday, July 24:
9:00 am Meditation Room
• Preparing for the journey: how to stay grounded and protect our boundaries
• Create a Question Jar: Creative Experience
• Instructions for Creating a SoulCollage® Cards
• Imaginal Journey: find your personal gate keeper, guide, or protector
12:30-3:00: Lunch Break
• Time to work on collage card, question jar, rest, walk,
• 3:00 Gather for afternoon session: The Realms of Ancestral Memory: What are they and how can they help us learn about who we are?
• Your ancestral Journal: handouts, suggestions for recording what you learn
• Journey to Your Family Tree: Guided Imagery followed by mandala creating
5:30: Break for supper
(Materials for creating mandalas, collages, will be available at all times during the retreat)
7:00 Evening: Meet in Intuitive Painting Studio for those interested in Process Painting
Wednesday, July 25:
9:00 am meet in Meditation room
• Gather in Meditation room: Letting the Ancestors speak: Teaching/ discussion
• Guided Imagery: Accessing Ancestral Voices followed by SoulCollage® card making
• Journaling and dialoguing with cards
12:30 Lunch and creating/ rest time
3:00 Invitation to share any creative work with group….no requirement to do so.
• Exploring the Cultural Realm of Your Ancestors: Discussion and creative invitations: Mapping and journaling exercise, family rules box, collage of cultural and religious heritage
• Looking at the Larger Picture: Archetypal patterns in your family line
Evening time to continue creating/ dialoguing/ journaling
Thursday, July 26:
9:00 Meet in Meditation Room
• Invitation to share what you have created.
• How to look for patterns, clues in your pieces? What can you learn from your collages, drawings or paintings, or journaling?
• What would you like to learn that you have not?
• Healing ceremony for the ancestors and ourselves
12:30 Closing followed by noon meal
*Note: schedule subject to change as needed